MapR Technologies, Inc., provider of the top-ranked distribution for Apache™ Hadoop®, today unveiled at Hadoop Summit version 5.0 of the MapR Distribution including Hadoop, extending its lead in real-time Hadoop, security, and self-service data exploration and agility.
MapR 5.0 is architected for processing big and fast data on a single data platform that enables a new class of real-time applications. Organisations are increasingly deploying multiple applications on a single Hadoop cluster, with 18% of MapR customers deploying over 50 separate applications on a single cluster. The latest MapR release auto synchronises storage, database and search indices to support complex, real-time applications to increase revenue, reduce operational costs and mitigate risk. MapR 5.0 also includes comprehensive security auditing, Apache Drill support, and the latest Hadoop 2.7 and YARN features.
“With the newest release of the MapR Distribution, we continue to lead the market in delivering reliable and real-time Hadoop to the enterprise,” said Anil Gadre, senior vice president of product management, MapR Technologies. “We help enable the ‘as-it-happens’ business where organisations can shorten their data-to-action cycle. Our product is deployed at customer sites and industries that are highly regulated due to their use of sensitive data, which proves that MapR is architected for enterprise-grade security requirements.”
“Designed as a large-scale batch data analysis system, Hadoop is not often associated with operational analytics or transaction processing,” said Carl W. Olofson, research vice president, data management software research, IDC. “Hadoop adds tremendous value for decision management at the strategic and operational levels, but still is emerging as a framework for making tactical decisions ‘in the moment.’ With Hadoop innovations, such as those in MapR 5.0, happening every day, enterprises should consider using Hadoop as a ‘Decision Data Platform’ that functions as a single platform for handling both live operational data and real-time analytics.”
The MapR Distribution including Hadoop, version 5.0 feature overview:
- Extends the MapR real-time, reliable data transport framework, used in the MapR-DB Table Replication capability, to deliver and synchronise data in real time to external compute engines. The first supported external compute engine is Elasticsearch to enable synchronised full-text search indexes automatically without writing custom code.
- Adds Hadoop 2.7 including YARN 2.7 support to enable new features like YARN application rolling upgrades to complement the platform-level rolling upgrades already supported by MapR, as well as integrated Docker container support.
- Enhances MapR industry-leading data governance and security
- Comprehensive auditing for all data accesses via log files in JSON format, enabling extensive reporting and validation and quick analysis with Apache Drill. This adds to the trusted security capabilities MapR already provides for authentication and authorisation.
- Support for Apache Drill 1.x, including Drill Views. This innovative feature delivers secure access to field-level data in files to ensure only authorised data can be analysed by specific analysts. Analysts can also be given data governance privileges in which they can share their data sets with other analysts, an important capability for retaining agility in a big data environment.
“We are pleased to be working with MapR on integrating their real-time delivery framework with Elasticsearch,” said Jobi George, global partner director, Elastic. “Customers want search indexes automatically synchronised with the latest data updates. The MapR architecture makes this easier for application developers who need to let their end users search for data almost immediately after it is updated.”
Version 5.0 of the MapR Distribution will be available in 30 days.
MapR is a platinum sponsor showcasing its top-ranked, utility-grade Hadoop Distribution architected for real-time, data-centric enterprises this week at Hadoop Summit in booth #P10.
Tweet this: MapR 5.0 Extends Hadoop for New Class of Real-Time Applications http://bit.ly/1F0E5cI
About MapR Technologies
MapR delivers on the promise of Hadoop with a proven, enterprise-grade platform that supports a broad set of mission-critical and real-time production uses. MapR brings unprecedented dependability, ease-of-use and world-record speed to Hadoop, NoSQL, database and streaming applications in one unified distribution for Hadoop. MapR is used by more than 700 customers across financial services, government, healthcare, internet, manufacturing, media, retail and telecommunications as well as by leading Global 2000 and Web 2.0 companies. Amazon, Cisco, Google, Teradata and HP are part of the broad MapR partner ecosystem. Investors include Google Capital, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Mayfield Fund, NEA, Qualcomm Ventures and Redpoint Ventures. MapR is based in San Jose, CA. Connect with MapR on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook