IBM delivers new cricket insights to fans with Cloud and Analytics
IBM India (NYSE: IBM) is delivering new insights into the Cricket World Cup to fans across the world. Using cloud and advanced analytics technology, IBM is providing live match analysis, player performance and social insights taking the fan experience to the next level.
Data has become a real game changer in sport, and is increasingly being used by coaches, players, officials, commentators and front-office personnel around the world, across a range of sports, to get new information and better support decision making. During the Cricket World Cup 2015 IBM will provide the following insights:
1. IBM Social Sentiment Index leverages sophisticated IBM Watson Content Analytics delivered as part of Watson Foundations to aggregate and analyze public opinions shared across millions of tweets and other social conversations during the Cup. The tool will analyze these data streams to generate predictions on the teams most likely to win the tournament, highlight the most talked about players and teams and more.
2. The Wisden Impact Index is in partnership with Wisden India, a world leading cricket reporting organization. This delivers comparative and correlated insights leveraging historical and current data. As cricket matches progress, it produces the following insights:
· Match Up – a comparative overview of how the two teams stack up against each other in terms of the collective potential they possess
· Power Players – Highlights the impact of players’ performance from respective teams against Power Heroes of the past Cricket World Cup tournaments. This is on the basis of their pre-match impact data
· Player Performance – gives fans a view of an individual player’s potential highlighting their performance across three criterions – an individual’s career, Past Year performance and current Match performance
· Impact Heroes, Man of the Match vs. Impact Heroes – highlights players, whose performance impacted or changed the flow of the match.
3. Twitterati Speaks is an advanced Social Media and Data Analytics engine combined with the power of Watson technologies to identify and record the most talked about moments/highlights for each match of the tournament. It identifies the highlights of a match determined by dominant fan reaction after scouring through millions of Twitter feeds, projecting the results visually. The tool uses IBM Cloudant, a distributed database-as-a-service (DBaaS) on IBM Bluemix,cloud-based platform to process the insights.
Sriram Rajan, Executive Director- IBM Analytics, India & South Asia said, “Cricket is the most popular game in India and fans have limitless appetite to learn more about their favorite players and team. We are excited to serve fans with a multitude of key insights this Cricket World Cup. This can be applied across industries by leveraging the combined ecosystem of IBM’s Analytics, Cloud, Social and Mobile capabilities. Whether it’s streamlining operations, improving the customer experience or identifying new opportunities and markets – IBM has the analytic and cloud capabilities that customers need to drive better outcomes.”
IBM has been closely engaged and associated with major sports events across the world such as Wimbledon, Australian Open, Football World Cup and has been sharing key insights with fans the world over.
For more information visit http://ibm.co/1abhUJE or join the conversation on Twitter at @Scorewithdata.
Image source: ibnlive.in.com